THE BEST THING YOU CAN GIVE A CHILD IS YOUR PRESENCE
Become a foster parent and embark on an incredible journey to better the lives of the youth impacted by foster care. Foster Forward will help you each step of the way and together we can empower a lifetime.
Foster Parents are licensed by the Department of Children Youth and Families to care for children who must temporarily leave their parents’ homes. Foster Parents work cooperatively with the DCYF to promote permanency and well being for the children while in their care.
- You must be at least 21 years of age
- You must be physically able to care for a child or youth
- You may either rent or own your home or apartment
- There are no minimum income guidelines
- Your background must be free of child abuse, neglect, and serious police charges
- Applications are welcomed from couples of both same sex and opposite sex partners; with or without children; single adults of either gender or sexual identity; all religious denominations and all races.
- Complete the DCYF Foster Parent Application Form (button at the top of this page)
- Complete Criminal Records Check on individuals in your home over the age of 18
- Have a Fire Inspection of your home or apartment
- Receive a Letter of Conformance for Lead Safety
- Have a physician’s reference completed
- Participate in the Pre-Service Training provided by DCYF
- Complete a home study
Foster Club has over 20,000 Members from across the country. Along with youth who join this organization, adults are invited to join to show support for young people in foster care.
RI DCYF Foster Parent Support
NFPA, National Foster Parent Association, supports foster parents in achieving safety, permanence and well-being for the children and youth in their care.